<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2005-12-28

Day After Christmas 

This Christmas has been one of great contrast.  On the one hand, I have found it very fulfilling in that I am with my family again, especially because of the new arrival -- my sister's child, now 10 months old.  On the other hand, two relatives have passed away within the last month.  In both cases, the news was unexpected, with just one month notice in one case and almost no notice in the other.
I was not personally close with those who passed, but I am close to the people they have left behind.  I see them as being strong, but what else can one be.  It has made me start to wonder about certain things in my life and what I might start doing next.
Being with my niece has opened my eyes to a few things.  First of all, taking care of children is exhausting work.  When I'm working on a web page, I can at least envision what I want to happen and pursue it.  It may be frustrating, it may take a long time, and sometimes I won't get the result.  But I can take breaks when I want, and each time I learn more tools and methods to getting the result.
With a child, you are not so much able to direct things.  They can at time require your *constant* attention, and their needs may change within 5 seconds.  My mom and I were both sitting for my sister and her husband, who we gave a 'free night out' gift for Christmas.  My mom went to check on email, and I swear it seemed like I had never seen anyone take so long.  I must have come up with 20 new activities to try and amuse the baby and keep her from crying.  I did OK in the end, but it occurred to me that I was hungry and I could not stop to get a meal, at least for the moment.
Later on, when my mom returned, I was happy that I had tended for the baby but tired in a strange way.  As our babysitting duties came to an end, I looked to my stepdad who was watching the TV.  "I guess we've missed Monday Night Football," I said, estimating the time.  He and my mom returned, "The game hasn't even started yet!"  I think I must have been a little delerious.
So, do I want one of these things, children?  Not as of yet.  But it's been a very good exposure.  Actually, this whole trip has.  I have visited many friends from swing dancing (in Californa) and from high school (in Chicago).  Over half are married, many of those with kids.  I've never been around so many kids for an extended period of time.  Overall, they are not as bad as I'd envisioned.  Sometimes cute.  But most parents say the same thing, regardless of whether they love or hate their job : it's a lot of work!
So, for the moment, no.
All for now.  Tomorrow I spend the day with my stepdad.  Wish we could go fishing or something.  There's not much chance of that in the winter here, so I suppose we'll just have to hunt local squirrels with a BB gun.  On the day after tomorrow I go into Chicago to see an old high school buddy, and perhaps another one at the same time who's also working in the city.
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?