<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2005-01-29

After the meeting 

So I had a chat with my roommate.  I think it turned out OK.  After the talk things seemed a bit colder between us, but I felt it was necessary and important that we have it.  I did strike a serious tone for the meeting.  When I asked to talk to him he originally said "Dont worry, you won't be left in a lurch" but I told him I needed more assurance than that. 
 
I told him I was wanting to stay in this location, regardless of whether he moved or not.  Also, I told him I'd rather the lease be in my own name, and he agreed to this.  I think he's pretty determined to make this job work, and also will probably get a new place closer to his work once the job gets going.  We also agreed to split the current rent evenly between us, but we're each keeping our own rooms.  This is not as good as I'd hoped; his room is better.  But he did point out that the rent I pay is much less than his, proportionally, and it had gone for six months and he'd not complained.  Our contract was up and it was appropriate to ask for a renegotiation.  Then I'd said it would be better to get some more advance notice for when his guests visit.
 
So in two months, if his job is going well and he's not happy with the commute, he's going to seek a place somewhere else and I'm staying here.  He said he'd provide four weeks notice for any such move.
 
As I'd said, I'd struck a serious tone for the meeting.  I was quite concerned.  And I felt that if I didn't put my foot down I could end up in a difficult situation.  So this is how I handled it.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?