<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2004-11-11

Movies and Games, Games and Movies... 

Yesterday I went to the Shanghai Film Studio and got a copy of the script, which I have just finshed reading.  The first thing of note is how very few words are actually in a script.  It contains all of the dialogue, but the scene and situation descriptions are really minimal. I think back to just how much preparation it took for the taxi dance hall scenes. All of that effort -- selecting the shooting location, dressing everyone in costumes, arranging for all the extras, dance lessons beforehand, and so forth --  all is done for the sake of probably 200 words of description plus a few pages of dialogue.
 
Now they are filming the second dance-heavy sequence, which is set at an upscale dance bar called the White Countess.  I got very involved in the first round of filming, and it looks now like my participation will become greater.  I'm still gathering information about what exactly will be needed.  There's a lot of important variables which still need explaining, not the least of which are the filming days and the presence or absence of the original choreographer.  Based on whatever information I can get, tomorrow I will submit a proposal to the production team.  You hear a lot of information, but things change a lot at the last moment.  Everything is chaos.  You simply prepare and make options available for the directors to use.
 
In real life, I went on a binge after last night.  I was up until the not-so-wee but really-rather-large hours of the morning.  The kind of hours a which normal people are waking up.  It is so strange.  I had appointments the next day (today) and still I did it.  Each hour, one by one, just kept ticking away.  There I was sitting at the Internet cafe, playing the same stupid game I've played and nearly perfected really hundreds of times.  I don't know why I do this.  I think there needs to be a Gamaholics Anonymous.  I have one comfort which is that my problem does not have the really bad physical side-effects that other types of addictions have, such as achohol.  But nonetheless there it is.  The biggest problem is the cost of time.  What percent of my effective hours and I spending my time and energy doing this thing?
 
Today I said, no games today.  And I did this; no problem.  I actually did make my lunch appointment.  It's with a friend I see occasionally.  She appeared breifly in the movie as an extra and she's also come to one of our dance events as a 'more trained' person to help the absolute beginners.  So I tell her I'm really tired.  It's 1pm now, and I've only had about four hours of sleep, if that.  I tell her about my addiction, or 'binge' problem.  She says it sounds like an interesting article she could write for a magazine she freelances for. I tell her I would be happy to do the interview if she doesn't use my real name.  Can't really go about telling everyone I'm a computer game addict, can I?
 
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?