<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2004-09-08

Today 

Morning: Woke up. Took Metro Line 2 to Shimen Yi Lu (Shimen Number One Road).  When to my local "Kinko's" and designed a poster for an upcoming swing dancing event.  This takes 3 hours, and it's not quite complete when I have to leave...
Afternoon: Leave and take Metro Line 2 to center of the city, People's Square (Ren Ming Guan Chang).  Transfer to Metro Line 1 and take this to Xu Jia Hui ( a major shopping area ).
Late afternoon: I am supposed to see an apartment for rent.  It turns out it is not at Xu Jia Hui, but at Hengshan Lu, one metro stop away.  I call Malcom, the Australian who's renting the place and tell him I cannot make it because I must teach a dancing class at 7pm.
6:50pm: The finance office at the school where I teach dancing is closed.  On the elevator, I run into Allen at the English School where I teach dancing.  He joins me in the elevator because he says he needs to talk to me about something.
6:55pm: Alan tells me he needs to talk to me about two things.  For one, he wants his English school to co-sponsor the swing dancing event I am planning.  I give him a draft of the poster I put together earlier.  The second thing is, he wants to cancel the swing dancing class I am holding at the school.  I keep a smile on my face.  "No Problem" I say, while inside I am saying, Damn!
7:00pm: Class begins.  We have a good turnout, 20 people.  5 of which are guys, which is a large amount.  I am realizing this the last of three future classes  am about to teach.  I am on edge, but I have energy.  I am thinking as I teach this class, "These people don't know this class is about to end."  As I teach the basic step and outside turn, I think, "I depend on this English school for my work visa, and without them, I need to figure out how I will arrange for a visa in China.  I send Alan a message and tell him I want to talk to him... when?  I am busy with the apartment move!  How about Friday?  He says fine, no problem. 
I think about The Simpsons episode, where Lisa Simpson says, "Don't you realize that the Chinese have the same word for 'crisis' as they do 'opportunity'?"
So it's not a crisis.  It's an opportunity.  I think I must keep teaching at least one class per month. That will probably be acceptable to them, and it will allow me to keep my Z-visa, too.
Class goes well.  My Chinese protege, Wesley, shows up late.  I teach Lindy Hop this class.  Normally, I would not do Lindy Hop with beginners, but what the Flarg?  You know?
At the end of the class we have about eight students still remaining.  I thank them.  Today I do not take down their emails as they leave.  I do not know why.
9:00pm: The class is over.  I call Malcom and tell him I am coming to visit his apartment for rent.
9:20pm: The apartment is very nice and centrally located.  Malcom impresses me as a person I will mostly agree with and a good guy.  I want the apartment. During our short talk, one of my clients calls me.
9:35-9:45pm: I discuss with the Event Company of Singapore the specifics of our approaching event on Thursday.  This has been a major hassle so far.  Not worth the money, but it's all about the six-month plan.  I must accept the temporary inconveniences to get to my goal of popular Lindy Hop by the end of these six months.  In the end, I negotiate a free lunch for my assistants who are coming.  Not bad.
9:45-10pm: Finish negotiations for the apartment with Malcom.  2100rmb for my part.  My old apartment was 2300rmb for the entire thing, but it was in a slum, after all.  He says he has one more person to show the apartment to.  Can he get back to me tomorrow at midnight?  I tell him I must make a decision, well, now.  It's not HIS problem, I say, of course, but I need a new place to live by Thursday.  It's Tuesday.  OK, fine.  Good to meet you.  I will call the other person and maybe I'll even get back to you tonight.
10:20pm: Metro station at Hengshan Lu, near the apartment, waiting for the subway.  Phone rings.  Malcom.  2200rmb and you have a deal. Brilliant! I say.  Now that search has ended.
10:55pm: Bynoon Music Bar (the location of our upcoming party).  I meet with my current roommate Stuart for the last time.  We have beer.  Lots.  We talk of life, but keep it light because when we talk it tends to dwell upon the ponderous things.  A proper way to say goodbye.
1:30am: Stuart leaves, going to Coco's place.  Coco is one of my most promising dancers from my group.  Stuart met her at one of my swing dance nights.  Within five minutes, she put her leg on top of his.  Coco is a very attractive girl.  I was envious, I admit.  But this is life.  C'est la vie.
1:55am: I am at the Internet Cafe.  I guess this is about the last time I will be here, too.  Tomorrow, I intend to spend the day moving to my new place.  The guy next to me is playing Counter-Strike, and I will see if I can join the game.  Then sleep, then on to the next day.
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?