<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2004-09-05

latest 

I've been in a funny way lately.  Just a few items of pressure which have made me uncomfortable.  One is my roommate moving out and having to find a new place.  Two is getting booted out of one of our swing dance venues which I had really liked.  Three is our declining numbers for swing dancing and struggling to find a method to spread the word better.
I'm feeling a bit improved now.  A few good meals, some rest, and hanging out with my friends helps a lot.  I have decided to start giving away basic swing dancing classes for free.  We do this to attract new people and get our active dancers up to about 50.  Once we have that, we will have a legitimate 'scene' and we will have more leverage in bargaining with venues, dance schools and the like.
Some of my friends have helped me in the apartment search, and this is reassuring, though I have to find a place by Wednesday and this is Sunday night.  I have some plans to take existing places I have seen already, but I hope to find a better deal before the time of the move.
I'm sticking with the six-month plan.  I think it's a good idea.  We should have a viable and self-sustaining scene by six months if I handle it properly.  If it doesn't work out despite my best efforts, then it's just not supposed to happen now.  But I think it will work somehow.
Dancing does bring me some joy.  If I did not have it, I'd probably get even more wrapped up in my own problems than I am now.  I know it's made a big difference in my life.
So, for now one day at a time.  Get the apartment settled, then get a part time day job to pay the bills.  Then execute the six-month plan.  At that point I am free to continue on if I am happy, or I can do something else should this seem best.
Peace,
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?