<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2004-09-21

Feeling Solid Ground 

In the time since the last entry, many things have happened.  I’m settling into my new place.  My roommate is very cool and quite relaxed.  This is good because it helps me to relax as well knowing things are not uptight at home.  The location of my new home is fantastic.  I can leave the house and come back several times per day without feeling like I’m making a long trip or taking too much time.

Last week Wednesday I went to the Jazz Seeker club for our usual social dance night.  The manager of the bar called me aside almost immediately.  “I need to talk to you,” he said.  That is never good.  No one ever has anything good to say when the “need” to talk to you.

He tells me, "The bar, as you may know, has been losing money consistently."

I know this, I think to myself.  “I know,” I tell him.  “How long will you remain open?” I ask.

“Today is our last day,” he says.

Wowsa.

Considering how efforts in swing dancing had taken many hard hits recently, I was tempted to just cave in.  But almost immediately, I decided that today was going to be a crazy, going-away party for loyal dancers and a fond farewell to Jazz Seeker.  I sent a message to everyone I could think of.  That day, only our most loyal dancers showed up.  About six of them.  And we did have a very good time.  It every night were like that at Jazz Seeker, we’d have a much bigger following by now!

The manager suggested I try to find another bar to hold the dancing nights.  I told him I have two already lined up.  He suggested the Silver Moon, where a friend of his works.  I told him we were already there on Sundays.  He was a bit surprised, but I knew that Jazz Seeker could not last.  They never had any customers on days we were not there.  And they paid bank for their band, too. 

Even for ourselves, there was no way to make that night profitable.  The bar would not agree to split a cover charge with us.  And the bar was too small to hold regular dance lessons.  Actually, only about 8 people could dance at one time without hitting each other.  So, in a way it was a relief.  Now the Wednesday night was over and I didn’t have to feel responsible.  My loyal students really liked it, and I didn't want them to be mad at me for canceling it.

The previous week, on Tuesday, I went into the English-teaching school where I hold a weekly dancing class.  They told me then the class was going to be cancelled at the end of this current month.  Today is the second-to-the-last day we will hold a class here.  When THAT news was told to me, I didn’t bat an eye.  I said “Sure, no problem” and didn’t try to even argue or negotiate my position.  In truth, I was a bit shaken by this setback.  But I didn’t let it show and I didn’t worry too much about it, either.  The English school had produced just a few students who actually came to the dance nights.  So I think I had gained as much from my association with them as I was going to gain.  With some time to think about it, I agreed that it was best to have the class over.

However, I quickly realized that I get my work-visa through this English school.  Should the entire thing be cancelled, I’ll have to scramble to find another way to stay in China.  So I put together a proposal to which they have agreed.  Instead of a weekly dance class in the school, we hold a monthly dance class in the park, as a publicity event for both our organizations.  The two administrators both thought was a great idea.  Then, I invited both of them to come to the upcoming party this Friday as VIP guests, with free admission.

Which brings me to the next thing.  There is a party this Friday.

I have always found that whenever things get bad, stale, boring, or whatever, the best thing in the world is to throw a party.  For me, it keeps me occupied and focused.  Idle time is my own worst enemy. 

I’ve been planning the party for several weeks now.  Originally it was planned to coincide with the visit of my dance partner from America and the visit of four Japanese dancers.  HOWEVER, right now happens to be the time of Formula 1 race car driving in Shanghai.  While this means nothing to me personally, it is really a big deal of the local people.  All of the hotels are booked, or charging 2x or 3x their normal price.  It’s ridiculous.  Can ALL of the hotels ALL be booked, just because of Formula 1 racing?  Well, I don’t know but the prices remain up there.  Because of these costs, the visting Japanese dancers have postponed their trip, and I am not sure about my former dance partner from America.

I decided to go ahead with the party anyhow, because we needed a boost.  And, I also decided to have the event there every Friday night.  So, the dropping of Jazz Seeker is actually great timing.  Those people in the dance scene still have two places to go per week.

On the personal front, I have been very busy.  I have had a few dates recently but I can’t maintain anything consistent due to my schedule.  I don’t want the distraction of a girlfriend at the moment. 

As I mentioned before, my new roommate is cool.  He gets along great with my own drinking buddies and we’ve all been out for a few wild nights on the town.

I’ve felt a lot more focused and healthy since I got the new home and developed the six-month plan for getting swing dancing off the ground.  Granted, I’m a LOT more busy now, but I’m using my time more wisely and eating and sleeping more consistently.

I’ve got a lot of nervous energy in regards to this upcoming Friday gig.  If it does not work, I’m really going to be out of steam.  But I’m banking that it WILL work.  And I’m doing most every thing I can think of to make it work.  At the same time, I’m trying now to think about what type of ‘real’ job I may want to take after these next six months.  I know I could go back to computers, but I really don’t want to.  In those times I have done some computer work out here, I have gotten frustrated really easily.  I don’t think I WANT to do that type of work anymore.  So I’m trying to negotiate with myself to find some sort of work which is acceptably interesting and acceptably profitable as well.  Honestly, I hope I just find an opportunity amongst the people I meet.  I hate searching through jobs on the classifieds.  All the decent jobs are already taken long before they ever get printed on the classifieds.

Once this week is over, I’m going to go about a few basic things like getting a bed, a dresser, food for the apartment, and membership to a gym.  I do get plenty of cardio exercise, but I need to do some weight training to keep in shape for lifting those small Chinese girls in the air.  I know of one gym not too far from my home.  I’ll join that one or another if I can find one closer.

We’ve had three shows in the past month, so money is not a problem right now.  I have not had to dip into my savings any further.  I still can’t afford to purchase things outside of China, however.  This includes airplane tickets, which would cost a serious amount of money relative to the local income.

Two weeks ago one of my friends left Shanghai.  He was the guy with whom I was planning on sharing an apartment.  Good thing I didn’t rent one with him!  He called me and said he was leaving the next day, and asked if I could join him for a night out at the bars.  I was exhausted when he called.  I told him I could not make it. 

I am getting tired of my friends leaving Shanghai so randomly.  My old roommate did it, and now this friend.  And he was just three weeks ago talking abour renting an apartment with me!  I was a bit pissed that he could be so irresponsible.  But regardless, it would just be a bummer for me to see him leave.  Besides, he has already ‘left’ Shanghai once, only to return a few months later.  I didn’t want to go through the separation stress again.  So I stayed home that night.

On another note, a different friend of mine, a nice girl from Sweden, has returned to Shanghai.  She called me up just a few days ago.  I’m to have lunch with her some time this week.  She’s just about the most adorable creature I’ve ever met, but alas, too young for yours truly.  She’s good fun and a good friend, though.  I’m going to try to meet up with her soon.

All for now.

-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?