<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2004-07-01

O wut a nite
Tonight we had our dance night. We had 42 people come on the dance floor area, plus more upstairs. That bar would have 10 people total were it not for us. And still we get no payment for the event. As soon as we have an alternative place, go go go.

So after the event, I was thinking of going home, but we have a party planned this weekend. So instead I headed out and went to a few bars close to the area. I ran into a guy Mike who is a swing dancer and told him about the party. Then another guy Flo who was the actor who worked with me on the hospital commercial a few months ago. Then I saw Anjit, an Indian friend, and Sandra, who the dance group worked with on a few fundraisers.

When I get out, it's pretty cool. I actually do know a lot of people. I'm in the pits a bit about my housing situation. Which, also, brings me to another point.

My two best friends out here are Stu and Phil, both coincidentally English. Phil I met on the subway one day seven months ago, when we were both relatively fresh to Shanghai. Stu is my roommate. So as it turns out, both of these blokes are now considering leaving the country. Phil has not had a job out here since he arrived, and I can understand his position. Every city sucks when you are broke. Plus he has a 3+year girlfriend who he is probably not going to marry and so it is best if they part ways. Stu is just sort of talking about seeing the 'next thing', which could be Australia or something else. In reality, I think a good deal of Stu's decision is because he, too, has a girlfriend out here and he probably wants out of that as well.

For whatever the reason, people in Shanghai come and go. It was hard in the first three months, when every good friend you met is leaving for one reason or another. But I am getting used to it now. It's sort of like life in the long-term; everyone leaves at some point. But in Shanghai it's just a bit more accelarated.

So tonight was a good night to get some new best friends 'on tap', since my current ones will be leaving. This is the life I lead.
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?