<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2004-06-16

Today was a bit strange. I had my dance class from 7-9pm which I teach at an English language school. It is held in a common room in which they put speakers and events. In the corner of that room are some common computers that students can use. Typically there are 10-20 people in the class plus maybe 5-6 in the corner, out of view.
Today after about 1 hour of the class, I heard people talking very loudly back in the computer area. To give them a hint, I turned up the dance music much louder, but it seemed to have no effect. So I went back there and there were two students, both adults, having some sort of heated argument. I approached them, as I was the only teacher present, and tried to communicate to them that there was a class going on and they had to be quiet.
I expected them to say something to the effect of OK sorry and take it outside, but that's not what happened. One guy looked at me with disdain and waved me off. Then they took back to arguing with each other again, about what I have no idea since the whole thing is in Chinese. Meanwhile, my students are waiting for me to return to class.
Suddenly one of the guys takes a swing at the other guy. Without thinking to much about it I do the typical American thing in such a case which is to try to separate the two. I'm quickly trying to assess what is going on, feeling like that if I don't do something about this then no one will.
This is a completely correct assumption, but it was actually even worse than I would have thought. About two or three seconds into it I am trying to keep the guys apart by physical force and they are not in the least disuaded. I notice that they are not directing any blows or moves against me, but they are going after each other. THEN, at least two other guys from the surrounding area actually JOIN IN and start hitting either one or the other of the guys. So now, six seconds into it I am trying to restrain not only the original two but also dealing with these two secondary guys who are not making it any easier. Still, I am observing that through all of this that no actions are being directed at me, so I am not worried about personal danger other than just incidental being knocked around.
So I decide I should go for the bigger of the two guys and try to get him to back off. I do so, and grab his arm and start pulling him away, and some smaller guy from the background makes a fist and begins beating the guy I am partially restraining over the head. The new attacker is not particularly strong nor is he throwing very dangerous punches, but this has really got to be annoying to the big guy who I am trying to hold back.
This goes on for at least ten more seconds, me trying to first identify the primary fighters and separate them. And the bystanders instead of helping either stand about mute or throw in small punches.
Finally I manage to get them mostly separated. I have the larger guy on the floor (he fell there during wresting with others) and I realize I should go after the smaller primary fighter, who is an older guy with a pot belly. So I leave the larger guy, move towards the pot belly guy and do the 'big arm corral' and talk to him in English, moving him back and keeping my tone of voice reasonable and unexcited.
It seems to work with a little very small pushing on my part. I get the guy moved into the hallway and headed out away from the teaching room. By this time 20 or 30 people are now watching, coming in from the adjacent teaching rooms to see the entire event.
Still, not one other faculty member has showed up. Finally, I see one of the guys who I have been training as a swing dancer. I tell him to take the pot belly guy of the the room and keep him separated. So I finally have some help.
It is more or less finished, with only the concern of the guys seeing each other and yelling at each other again and of course beginning the fight again. I am very conscious of the lack of any type of security in this building.
With this stupid stuff hopefully finished, I think it is best just to go back into the dancing class right where I left off. The girls in the class come up and look concerned. Are you Hurt? they ask. No I'm Fine, I say. There's blood on you, they say.
And so there is, on my shirt and my left elbow. I look at it. I don't think its Mine, I say. I go the washroom and wash it off, and then back to class and finish up. One girl who had observed the whole thing goes up to me and says, You are Wonderful, or something like that.
People seem to have forgotten about it in about five - ten minutes, which is what I wanted. But I am having trouble concentrating to get the class finished.
Before the end of the class some security or police enter the room. I just keep on teaching, not particularly wanting to get involved further or give a statement or be detained for fighting in China, but none of these things happen. They are talking to one of the smaller secondary guys in the fight. That guy has a scrape under his eye. The guards hang out for a minute, talk to the small guy, then leave.

There is a public pattern of behavior in China which I have heard about many times. Whenever there is an accident or problem, people do not step in to solve it. They simply gather around and watch it happen. I have heard horror stories of a girl who was hit by a car and broke her leg. The people surrounded her on the street and were watching, not interfering or doing anything. But they were so packed around it that the medical technicians could not enter the scene.
People generally don't call the 911-equivalent or do anything, they just watch.
Anyhow, all's well that ends well. I feel OK, and the fight was stopped. It was an interesting affair.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?