<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2004-06-05

Significant updates 

Here's what's happened lately:
On Saturday (tomorrow) we are doing a dance show at the Shangri La Pudong, one of the 5 star hotels out here.  It is for the British Chamber of Commerce.  Next week we are doing a dance show at the historic Paramount Ballroom.  They are both for charity so there's not a lot in it for us, except for fun of course.
Newspapers keep calling me.  We are to be in two next month, and another just called today. 
We got a call from one of the people who turned us down six months ago.  Back then when Kellian and I had nothing but just the two of us and handfull of students, we tried out with this one woman who represented the marketing division of a major bar street.  During the performance, which was held in her office, she didn't even pay attention.  After it was over she off-handedly asked, "Do you have any more dancers?  Do you do any other types of dance?"  We're like, "No, this is it already!"  Anyhow, she called just today.  She says, "hey why don't you two come by and have coffee and we will catch up!"  Man, it's funny.  It's like all the cliche's of showbusiness that you hear about.  Of course we will meet with her and of course we will work with her if it is a good opportunity, but we won't rely upon anything we set up there.
In other news, another hotel just opened up a "Buffet with Swing Dance Music Night."  Kellian found it in an online email newsletter.  She was like, "Did you set this up?"  I'm like, "No, I never heard of it!"  I felt a little like the guys in fight club who were wondering who set up the new fight clubs in other towns.
Anyhow, it does seem the trend is catching on.  People are coming to us and our contacts are growing broader.  We are not doing so well on the lessons, but I think we will make no changes there.  Sometimes we think that Sunday afternoon is not a convenient time, but after asking so many people you will find out that any given day and time is not convenient for many folks.  You just have to hold it sometime!
Last night I acted in a television commerical.  It was for some sort of late night infommercial.  Selling some crap, really.  But it was work, and now that makes two television commercials I have appeared in.  It was funny.
The room was a low-budget but proper filming room.  I was in a suit wearing glasses and a false mustache.  Behind me was a blue screen, and they said that computer equipment would be shown in the final film.  I was the primary presenter of the commercial, and I had about 20 lines.  I was able to do the lines one a time, so I didn't have to memorize a major script, thankfully.
Around the room the main director sat watching his monitor.  At least 12 Chinese stage hands were more-or-less active about the room.  One Chinese assistant spoke English and translated the director's requests to me.  I would speak a line, then the director would make some comments.  I would look at him and read his body language and facial expressions.  Most of the time I could figure out what he wanted before the translation.  A friend of mine was also there, and they gave him a couple of lines as well.  I'm glad he was there, because it was a bit higher pressure than I'd have anticipated.  Mainly I felt a bit out of my element; I was surrounded by a room of Chinese and every time I said something the director said cut and gave direction.  It took a lot of will to keep in the room and keep going, trying new techniques randomly until finally he said, "OK, Pass!" which meant I could go to the next line.
It was selling some sort of hair treatment like rogaine.  I was supposed to be a German scientist and expert in the field.  These sorts of commercials are on all the time in China.  Actors can play doctors on tv all the time.
Anyhow, as they say, I needed the money.  I don't mind working in commercials.  I'd like to get more work like that.  If I get really lucky perhaps I'll find a place on a TV show or movie.  That would be really interesting.
I'm meeting with people almost every day to negotiate deals for swing dancing activities.  It is such a strange thing.  A couple of days ago I called one of the originators of swing dancing, Frankie Manning.  He's a living legend in the swing community.  90 years old now and still dancing.  I invited him to come to China, and he said he was interested.  We discussed terms and I said we would try to hold it within one year.
It is now growing a bit beyond my ability to handle on my own.  I need to obtain a staff and a business partner.  I always hate making these major decisions.  I always try to delay them as long as possible until the 'obviously superior' choice comes around.  I suppose this is just how businesses work, and that's just my style.
I'm conflicted over returing for my friend's wedding in San Jose.  I really want to go. The issues are time, and money.  I should see if I can find a cheap plane deal.  My landlord works for a travel agency so perhaps I can find a cut rate.
I'm trying now to make places in the effort/movement for every one of the major people involved.  This would of course include Kel, and a new member of our group, too.  This new member is the European Boogie Woogie and Swing dancing champion.  She joined us about three months ago.  I really like her.  She and I have very similar management styles and feelings about how to run classes and other things.  Plus, she's German so she's reliable and systematic, which I find very pleasant.
All for now I suppose!
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?