<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2004-06-11

Now HERE'S and odd one.
I was walking down the street, leaving the office where I rent a computer, and I looked across the street. Who do I see but a person who looks very much like an old college fraternity buddy of mine. I did not recognize his face so much as his distinctive walk. Some people walk in a unique way and you could figure out who there were even if in a shadow.
So I call out his name, "Greg?" testing to see if it is him. It can't be. It is. He is equally surprised. "Jim?" I cross the street to greet him. "Wow, what is the chance of meeting YOU out here?"
We have not seen each other for almost ten years. We were both at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, same year I think. Back in college we lived in the same house of course knew each other. We got along well and I never remember a time when we were at odds.
Over the next minute, we both ask: "What are you doing out here?" "How long are you here for?" "Where are you living?"
We made plans to contact each other and have coffee or lunch. He went off to his meeting and I went to dinner.
This is a strange place here, Shanghai.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?