<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2004-05-11

Today is Tuesday in Shanghai. We are holding the Shanghai Swings six-month anniversary party on Saturday, and we're trying to get new sign-ups for classes. It's an experiment right now, trying to figure out who will join, how much to pay, when to hold classes, and so forth. I feel more confident about throwing parties than I do organizing classes, since I already know how to do the former.

I hesitated a long time before forming the classes. I was not sure why I was hesitating, but I gave myself a rest during the May holiday week. When I went to set it up, there were a lot of little dillemas to address. When to hold the class, how many people, what to charge, how to contact these people. It sounds trivial until you try to do it yourself. I talked with a girl who runs a small Mandarin-teaching school out here, and she says she goes through the same thing every time she tries to form a class.

The new apartment is working out well. My roommate is a good guy. My only complaint is that there's a pile of refuse at the top of the first floor stairs, and instead of anyone removing it people just seem to be adding to it. I and my roommate are going to one day get a shovel and tarp and move all of that stuff into the trash bins below. It will probably cause quite a stir amongst the local Chinese that the two laowai who moved into the complex are hauling garbage.

I just learned the other day that we are on CCTV-9, which is the English channel television station. I knew we were on the City Beat show a month ago, but I thought that was limited to Shanghai, plus its viewership is smaller. CCTV-9 is throughout China, and someone of our group saw us in Mongolia when they were travelling there. My friends kid me that I am a celebrity. So I tell them yes, I'll feel very much like that when I'm at my low-rent housing hauling garbage the Chinese are leaving at my stairs.

I changed a setting in this blog which allows users to make comments underneath each post. So, if you want to say something clever, feel free to do so. All for now. Post away at those replies! I want to see if it works.
Peace,
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?