<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2004-05-03

I must say I feel pretty good today. Last night I signed the lease on the apartment. Afterwards my new roommate and I wandered about the neighborhood to see what was around us. It's much easier to go exploring when you have someone to chat with along the way. Wandering China alone gets old after a while.

He being English, our first target to find was a pub. Finally we went into a "Music and Coffee Bar" and said, what the Hey. It actually turned out to be a really nice place. The construction was all new and clean. The chairs were comfortable burgundy leather. Beer prices were OK, too. We sat and chatted a but about how powerful U.S. corporation are and how they have more sway than many governments. And how they will just continue to grow and buy more companies until there are just a handful of companies in existence.

This philosophical avenue came to an abrupt end as the owner of the bar came over and introduced himself. He brought us both a couple of beers, on the house, and said we were welcome here and asked us to come back with friends. He said they would have a special. Beer on tap, all you can drink for 28 quai (slang for RMB). That's, oh, a little less than $US 3.50. Who can argue with this?

Afterwards some of my new students called me out to celebrate a birthday. We went dancing until about 2am or so. Fun, Fun, Fun. Finally!
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?