<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2004-04-03

I have been looking for new places to hold the swing dancing events. I talked with two places. The first is a unused dance hall. It used to have a stage upon which we could have placed a band, but for some reason they covered the front of the stage with plywood and they are using it for storage now. Sometimes, I swear, I think the people here have no aesthetics. It was such a wonderful old place, with wood construction, hanging lamps, and this beautiful stage. But I still think we will use it. We can just play our CD's for music. Maybe later we will arrange for the band.

The second place I talked to was the Paramount Ballroom. This is the premier location for any kind of fancy dance events. A few days ago I was feeling pretty good and decided to drop in. I told the manager we would have about 50 people and asked him if we could dance there. He was excited about the idea, actually. He even said the band could prepare to play more swing-type music and we could come once a week. He would charge a very reasonable rate. He event invited me to bring my friends with on a Saturday to take a tour. I was surprised with this success. I had built an expectation that the Paramount would be difficult to obtain. But I just walked in and asked and there it was.

I think the plan now is still to rent out the small private hall. I think for the scene to develop properly, we need our own space which we control. We can play our own music, have our own people, and charge very little to attend. We will serve water only, and people can bring in food or other drinks so long as they clean up after themselves. We'll start with playing CD's, and if the attendance increases we'll bring in a band.

In othe news, today I went to a casting call for a small part in a movie or commercial (I'm not sure which). They were looking for foreigners to play the part of a doctor. The woman there said I looked very young (which is good). They put some glasses on me then said it would probably be no problem. I would like to get more involved in that. I lived in Los Angeles for two years and not once did I ever work as an extra in a film. I could have, but I never pursued it.

Opportunity for me here is much greater than back home. The more time I spend here, the less I consider returning 'home', whereever that may be. Life is more exciting out here, there's more possibilities, and I am getting to know a great many people. I try to picture myself going back to America. I see myself finding a city, renting an apartment, getting in a car and driving back and forth to work 5 times a week. Going out on weekends, dancing some, and so forth. I think it would be a lot harder for me to try any new career directions, and from what I read in the news the job situation back there still sucks.

I would never go back to Chicago, though that is where I grew up. To me, it would feel like a failure to return unless there were some great career opportunity. Also, the dating scene is much more favorable out here. Part of it is just because I am feeling better now. A positive direction in your life makes a great difference in how 'attractive' people perceive you.

Well, all for now.
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?