<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2004-04-09

I am in a bar called Windows 2. It is on Najing Lu, named after the city Nanjing. They have beers here for 10 quai (about 1.12 US). Tonight I visited my friend Amar from Bombay. We got dinner and a Sichuan restaurant then had a few beers. He's talking about creating a club out here. Not for profit, but just to create a place to hang out for us and our friends. It does not cost much, about 20,000 quai over four investors, or $US 10,000. It would not be for-profit, but just a fun venture between friends. If he sets it up, I'll go.

I'm looking to move now. Having a place all to myself is good when I have a date, but 99% of the time it's rather dull. I think I've wathed every DVD China has to offer.

Over at the pool table to my right is a girl I met last weekend. Her name is Alisa, and she is rather cute but I think she's a player so I'm avoiding her. What am I saying? I'm at a bar at 1am and I'm typing into my blog. The geek-factor is staggering. I got an email from you-know-who today. What the fuck? It was not even addressed specifically to me. It was part of a bulk emailiing looking for updates on addresses and people's lives. I deleted it. I cannot claim I have not thought about her since I came out here. In fact, when I first arrived there was a girl in a major advertising campaign which looked remarkably like her. Every billboard, every subway stop. Talk about annoying. But that campaign is over and that relationship is over, and both have their place in the past.

I have decided to open up a swing dance venue out here. Once a week, patterned loosely after the Dogg House in San Francisco. However, we will offer more to drink.

Last Wednesday we had our first Lindy Hoppers from San Francisco come and visit. That was pretty cool. I had not seen anyone dance except Kellian and Alicia for the last six months. This girl had the typical leg-flick-on-one that all San Fran Lindy Hop girls have. It was so cool to see that. It took me back.

Anyhow, tonight is going pretty well. I'm going to be getting out of our Wendesday gig and going into a Friday night gig. It's a risk, but China was a risk. This is much less of a risk, relatively speaking. And I need it, frankly. After the mis-communication (or bad deal) at Jazz Seeker I was really getting depressed and despondent about my ability to handle the social scene. But that's ridiculous. Jimbo's Swingin' Party I back in San Jose had over 200 people in attendance. For all the faults I have, organizing massive social events is not one of them.

Peace all,
JImbo
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?