<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2003-12-21

And so, and so, and so....
Today I had hoped we would get a bunch of new students for our dance class. Made some extra preparations, and I anticipated some sign-ups from the 1920's ball. However, as fate would have it we had just our loyal repeat students. No new students. I must confess I was a bit downtrodden by this. The 'business' of running a swing dancing effort is very different than other types of business I have done. In some ways, it is harder, because I am trying to sell and deal with the general public, rather than a specific person in a corporation. We do have the advantage that we are the only ones doing swing, but most people don't know what it is yet.
Kellian is back in the U.S. with her family, so I am also running things on my own for the next three and a half weeks. That means two more dance sessions. It's a bit harder without her. We don't always agree on everything, but this is good in business. She comes up with things I don't think about, and she finds work and students on her own, too. I'll be OK in the meanwhile, but it would be good to have her back. She believes in what we are doing, too. There is another dancer out her who is very good, but Kellian has the same comittment and belief in swing dancing that I do. We are both doing in for the good of the, uhh, country? For the good of people in general. Something like that.
Meanwhile I am going to have to get a day job. I suppose it's not the worst thing in the world! Fortunately I should probably be able to get into some new field. I am good with business presentations and I would like to focus on that field. I think I would be a good representative for a company which wants to sell things or present things to other foreigners.
I am spending the holidays here in China. I did not want to go back so soon after coming, for a few reasons. First I thought it was too soon after arrival, and I would lose my momentum and will to stay here. Second, it's expensive. And third, I felt like we need to keep swing dancing going. I think we would lose people and opportunities if both of us left at the same time.
All for now. Happy Holidays to all and I hope it's warmer where you are!
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?