<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2003-11-24

So, yesterday I lost my wallet. This is always on the top of one's "Oh SHIT!" list, but it is especially difficult here. Normally, you call some 1-800 numbers, but I have not called the U.S. since I got here. My cell phone and home phone won't even reach the U.S., so I had to ask family (thanks!) to cancel them for me. The new cards will be sent to my U.S. address, but they they'll have to be shipped to China somehow (also a new experience). It looks like this is going to be a part of my life for the next couple of weeks.

So how did this happen? Well, it was very late at night. I was getting out of a cab at my home and I stepped outside, realizing quickly my wallet was not on me -- probably on the back seat. I ran after the departing cab, but cars are faster than people.

The next morning I asked a friend to call the cab company and report the missing wallet. I asked another friend if I could borrow some money since I had to pay rent that very day, too! So now I'm living truly on a budget until I can recover this. Most of that day I was relatively composed. But at the end of the day, I was just spent! I was teaching dance class, and I really had a hard time focusing. I let Kellian run the show for the most part. This stressed out feeling lasted all night, so I just went home afterwards.

I have noticed that stress can really build up here. I mean, frustration is a normal part of life. Stress will affect your ability to process things. But there are just some times when things are really overwhelming. It's really a pain, because suddenly you just can't think straight, which makes it even more stressful! When that happens it's best just to call it a day. But through this, I am happy to have friends who help.

Before I left for China, I thought the trip would give me insight my Polish family's immigration to America. They were all forcibly moved out during World War II and got to America after about 10 years of roaming. They were not in the strongest possible position in life. New country, relatively new language, new culture. And not much of a childhood, either.

My trip to China cannot compare to those hardships. Yes, I do have difficulties out here. And I am surprised by just how difficult it can be. But I am still well-to-do by local Chinese standards. I am generally respected by people I meet, or at least treated with respect. I do not speak the language, but one can get by speaking only English here. There are enough people and enough businesses that you could exist completely without any Chinese language. However, you do need Mandarin to take a cab!

I have been putting off learning Mandarin since I arrived here. At the beginning it made sense to wait. I needed to adjust to the new country, so many small things. But now I really need to learn the language. I will look for a regular person I can learn from. That is, once I get my wallet back!

All for now,
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?