<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2003-10-15

OK, this is blogworthy.

Today we had our first paid class at Hot Chocolate. Kellian was a bit nervous about how many people would show up, but in the end we had about 20 there. It was more than even I expected. We went through the basic class, which consists of the basic step, rotating while dancing, inside turn, outside turn, and a dip. Everyone pretty much caught on, and in the end we asked who wanted to sign up for classes. Every single person present at the class wanted to sign up!!!

So this was a good night. Afterwards, two friend from Silicon Valley showed up, Carmen and Sanford. They brought with them two friends, and I for the first time played host. I introduced them to a few dinner places, Park 97, and the infamous Mao Ming Lu, which they all enjoyed. We talked and drank and they wanted to go home about 3am (lightweights!!!) :-)

During this night, we also ran into a unique thing. We found a mandolin-playing group from Madrid, Spain. They were all dressed up in Spanish conquistaor-type clothing, and they had capes and carried their instruments with them. Luckily, all of us got to see them play at Mao Ming Lu before my friends when home.

I chatted up with them a bit, then I decided it was time to head for home. So now I'm at the Internet bar near my house. This place is sort of a haven for me. It's a bit of a home away from home. I know all the people who work here (at least by appearance) and I check my e-mail and do my blog and play computer games. It's a bit of a retreat from all the chaos, of which there is much.

Anyhow, tonight was a good night. I spoke more Mandarin than my Silicon Valley friends and I knew all the places to go. I transformed today from visitor to host, all of the sudden.

Peace,
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?