<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2003-09-20

Shanghai, Month 2
Well, goodness me. It's been one month. Today, I am happy to say, Kellian and I had our first performance. It was at a press conference for the opening of a new movie theatre and a movie premiere. The actor in the movie is a big star out here, Andy Lau. This was quite an experience!

We arrived a few hours early and checked out the dancing surface. It was a raised stage made of sections of carpeted surface. We each brought three different types of shoes so that we would have the correct ones for the stage. Then, as the time approached, we got ready. We actually had dressing rooms! I must tell you, when I was sitting there in a dressing room, in Shanghai, getting into my swing dance outfit for a performance in front of about 200 people from the media and entertainment fields, I was thinking, "Wow, this is new."

An act came on before us. It was a little belly dancing show. Six SCAD's ;-) in Indian belly dancing outfits. Kellian said hello to them and we got to take a few pictures together before we went on. Finally, when it was our turn we headed up to the stage, and once the music started it was pretty much just like dancing always is. The stage lights were up and we could not see the audience, though we new they were there. So, we just kept dancing, had some fun, and we got a few good shouts out of the crowd when we finished. The event organizer was happy and said he would not mind working with us again, and I'd like that, too!

Now both my dance partner and I are coming down from an adrenaline rush. We're hanging out in the Internet cafe near my house. Yes, the same place I play Counterstrike and Civilization III. And tonight we go out to scout a place to see if they will be willing to let us set up a dance night there.

So, all,
Wan an.
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?