<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2003-09-13

Shanghai, Day 23
Yesterday we had our first Chinese Swing Dancing party. I held it at my apartment, and we had five couples show up. We taught them all to dance -- basic step, inside & outside turns, alternating kicks. With this vast repertiore, the all broke off and started dancing with each other. Everyone loved it! Everyone caught on very quickly, faster than most American classes I have seen.

Kellian was very good and a compliment to my own teaching style. I'm going to work on my teaching demeanor, to make it more fun and less strict. But there was no lack of excitement. We are now forming our core group of dancers which we will train personally. They will all get free training and serve as the foundation of the new Shanghai Swing dance society.

It's really funny. This has proved to be much easier than I ever would have imagined. I mean, getting out here and adjusting to China was not easy, nor was leaving friends and familiar surroundings, but teaching the classes and getting people excited about swing has been very smooth.

Both Kellian and I must focus a lot more on our physical health. We're both in fine shape, but for the first time we realize that if we are going to be doing this for a living, then you have to keep those ankles strong and limbs limber.
Peace,
-J

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?