<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2003-09-01

Shanghai, Day 12 - ish
I have finally signed up for a temporary apartment in the heart of the city. I have the flat for a month, which I am sharing with a German expat and a local Shanghainese. This is a great relief, because now I can do more things in the city. Before it took about 40rmb ($5) and 30 minutes to get from my hosts' apartment to the activities in the city. Now I am much closer. Plus, the reduction in taxi fare costs pays for 2/3 the cost of renting the room!

As an added bonus, there is a hotel two blocks from where I live which has a business center. Most hotels have one; it is a place people can rent computers with Internet access. And, unlike other places, these types of computers do not have blocking mechanisms which screen out certain Websites. Most computers I have been on screen out Blogger.com, which means I have been unable to blog. The previous entry was actually e-mailed to my mom!

I will probably spend about two days adjusting to my new environment. I am moving out of Rob & Ping's place. I have relied upon them quite a bit since I've been here. They're just good people, I guess, to put me up for so long without anything in return.

My dance partner shows up in six days. This will be interesting when she finally arrives. We have never met face-to-face before. I hope we get along!

I have some old blogs which I have written on paper, and I will retroactively post these as soon as I get organized in my new apartment.

The first week I have been here in Shanghai I was filled with huge energy and excitement and I went out every night. The second week I slowed down quite considerably. I was getting tired very easily, and the food here sometimes does not agree with me. But I feel now that I have my own place closer to things it will be much easier for me.

Power to the people! More to come!
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?