<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2003-08-25

Shanghai, Day 4 ( Sunday )
Yesterday I began the day at Ping & Rob's place. We got breakfast, then I bought a cell phone. In the afternoon we went to the public pool in Mandarine City, a very exclusive housing complex. There we met of Ping's Chinese friends and also ran into some expats. One was from the UK and the other Brazil.

We talked, exchanged info, and had some beers at the swim-up bar. I launched an impromtu swing dancing lesson, and now the guy from the UK and Ping's friends all want to sign up. Another guy from Germany sent over his girlfriend to learn how to dance as well. I think this could catch on!

After that we went to dinner. At night I finally caught up with my friend Albert. He's a former Silicon Valley guy like myself. I had met him last November when Merry and I went to China. He got us on the guest list at Guandii, a popular night club. I met a whole bunch of folks there, including the owner of another nightclub -- supposedly the best new place in the city.

It is amazing how many folks I am meeting now. It's just been three full days.
However, I am beginning to feel the effects of culture shock. There are so many unfamiliar things that after a while you can tend to lose your points of reference.

I am really grateful to everyone who has been helping me, and I am feeling good that I will find my place here. Today Kenny and I are going house-hunting. I'm preferring a place closer to the center of the city, but he's looking futher out because the rents are lower. I'll figure out the different neighborhoods and rental costs so I can make a more informed decision.

All for now,
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?