<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2003-08-21

Shanghai, Day 1
It was a very long flight. 11 hours from San Francisco to Beijing, a two-hour layover and transfer, then two more hours to Shanghai. I picked up a cab at the airport but had trouble explaining to the driver how to get to the destination. Fortunately, I had the phone numbers of my two friends out here and I reached one, where I am staying now.

Before I got on the plane to go, I must admit that I did feel very nervous and apprehensive, even downright concerned. "What am I thinking?" I asked me. I figured I'd be getting on the plane all full of vigor, but instead I was completely conflicted. I thought about it, and actually that's not very different than any of the moves I have made in the past two months in America. Any time I took a road trip from one city to another, leaving one temporary life behind and beginning one more, the first half of the trip was always filled with concern and sometimes sadness. Then, after about four hours or so, your mind adjust to the new environment and you just sort of go with it. And so it happened again this time.

Once I landed in Beijing, there was no question in my mind that this was a cool thing to do.
I am going to get a cell phone today, meet up with some friends, and figure out how the busses work and all that good stuff.
Yah!
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?