<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2003-08-15

Past midnight, so technically t-minus 4 days.
When the sun comes up today, I will rest, cancel bills, and forward addresses. Perhaps I will also organize my stuff and empty my car. My friend Steve has been great to let me crash at his place for the three weeks I'll have been here. The atmosphere is low-key and relaxing.

Saturday there is a very big party scheduled during the day. Now if anyone asks, "Weren't you going to China?" I can finally answer, "Yes, I leave on Tuesday." On Sunday I'm to go paintballing with Steve and some of his friends. Monday's my last full day; I sell the car, wash clothes, and finish packing. Tuesday I imagine Steve will drive me to the airport and I step on the plane.

Silicon Valley has been my home for the last five years. Of all the places I have lived since I left Chicago eight years ago, this area has been the most like home. But I have weighed my options carefully, and I think once I get past the pain of separation I will be happy and find some very interesting things to do. I also consider that the risks I am taking are nothing compared to that of my friend in Iraq right now. Life is short. No more fucking about. Life is short. Nothing is forever. If you are not happy, don't stay unhappy just because it's scary to change. That's not the point of life.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?