<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2003-07-19

Right now I'm in Mountain View, CA, -- the heart of Silicon Valley. I've only seen a few of my friends; many I have not been able to catch. Today I had lunch at Google, which has the most excellent food you can imagine. The Googlers are all very happy monkeys, eating very well, with a gym onsite and a masseuse as well. Google is like the only survivor of the Silicon Valley philosophy. The environment is colorful, people-friendly, and a hotbed for brilliant and hard-working people. All Googlers, once they go they own way, will probably be a unique fraternity, like Harvard graduates. "Oh, you worked at Google!" Kind of like that.
Three years ago I would be drooling at the chance of joining Google, but I don't feel Silicon Valley is the place for me anymore. After this brief stay, I am even more assured in my decision to travel. I've picked up all my furniture, and all my material possessions are in my car. I'm going to try to head out to Montana tonight. I'll probably stop at a hotel in Utah, then arrive in Montana Sunday night. On Monday, I'm going river rafting with the family. My sister will be there, too. She flies back Tuesday, after which I'll hang out with my mom & stepdad.
I'm seriously considering going to Thailand as my first out-of-country destination. I don't have the passion for a new work project, and Thailand would be like the 'spring break' I never had. All my time during high school and college I never did go on a spring break. (I worked at Osco drug or at temp jobs).
I invited a friend to go Thailand as well, and he's considering it. If anyone out there has the time, money, and inclination, please don't hesitate to contact me! The ticket prices are now $550 round trip, and expenses for an entire month would probably run about $600 on the high side. Must depart by July 31. I may opt for a one-way ticket, then just arrange for a flight from Thailand to China when the time is right. I still see China as my eventual destination, proabably around September.
All for now. ;-)
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?