<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2003-07-08

Back!
Spent the weekending San Diego. I used to live there many years ago so I knew my basic way around. I stayed with a friend of mine who lived in Berkeley while I was in the Bay Area. Went with my cousin and a friend of his from the gymnastics gym. The Fourth of July was probably the best I've ever had.
We left at 1:30am from Phoenix and drove all night to San Diego. We arrived at my friend's place at 7:30am, and he was not home, so we just went directly to the beach. We parked, unpacked, and walked to Pacific Beach. It was not too crowded at that time; we set up next to a ping-pong table and obtained beer supplies for the day. It's not legal to drink alchohol until Noon, so we waited.
There were so many beautiful women there it was, as they say, 'off the hook.' I met lots of interesting folks. One guy had a bocce ball set and we joined their tent. I also me some guy who used to be a professional football player. People were calling him Big John, for obvious reasons. Towards the end of the day I put on a t-shirt, which happened to be my Google shirt, and a couple of people came up to me asking if I worked there.
As night fell the fireworks were going. Then, people left the beach, and they also left a LOAD of stuf behind. There were at least 20 tents still set up, plus towels, shoes, blankets, and the aforementioned bocce ball set. My cousin and someone he knew decided it would be a good time to try an inpromtu kickboxing match. They went about two or three rounds. Neat to watch.
So the beaches are FILLED with all sorts of stuff that people had just left behind. We decided to make the world a cleaner place and take some back. We got two chairs, a tent, sandals, size 13 white shoes, two beach chairs, and a beach blanket, all for nada. Beats Wal-Mart.
We finally hooked up with my San Diego friend at about 10 pm. We got to his place, showered up, and had a late meal then went to bed. That was Friday night.
Saturday were up to a slower start, but my cousin's friend begins the day by leading us through a workout. Five sets of 50 push ups, plus various sit ups and ab exercises I'd never heard of. I'm still sore.
To the beach, again, just as good if not better than yesterday. Lots of pretty girls. One of them asked me to marry her, but I lost her about 10 minutes later to another guy. Ah, such is life. I taught Lindy Hop to my cousin and a girl he knows. They want to take lessons now, and I think it's a good idea to warm up before Shanghai.
We went clubbing that night. Hit Maloneys, I danced with nice girl there. In the evening we finally made our way back to my friend's place at about 3am. Sunday morning we woke up, cleaned the house, then tooled around SD for the day. Went to Hillcrest, then to a park where I went to sleep. Donated the beach blanket to the homeless and proceeded along our way home.
I certainly felt that was a well-lived three days.
Peace,
-J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?