<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2003-06-22

Went out swing dancing again tonight. This time I hung out with some of the dancers afterwards. They were the organizers of the Saturday evening events. It's really cool that with swing dancing you can pretty much go to any city and almost immediately connect with people.
I told them about my plans for the Shanghai swing dance scene. My plans are, go there, start teaching, develop a scene, then organize the first ever Shanghai Lindy Exchange. A Lindy Exchange is when local people offer their houses for places to crash, and folks from across the world come to that city. They all dance at some event then stay with the local folks. It's great because you meet new folks and it does not cost very much since there are no hotel costs.
The Swing Session from SF have already agreed (in principle) to come to Shanghai, as have many of my friends from SF. Everyone says you'd have to get the airfare subsidized. I think this is the major key to the success of the event. There's a lot do to between then and now, but I think the idea could work.
In the meanwhile, it occured to me I could start visiting various U.S. cities which are having Lindy Exchanges. I can just drive from one to the next. This might be a good idea to get on the road again.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?