<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2003-06-21

Today the Chinese president delcared that SARS was under effective control. SARS has been very important to me. My friend and I were in China in November 2002, right when SARS was originating in the Quandong Province. We were in Beijing and Shanghai, which is far north of there.

Since then I have been keeping up with every SARS report I could find. So far here's the facts as I know them:
-The mortality rate of SARS is 5-6%. The people who are old or already sick are most succeptible, though there have been a couple of deaths in the 20- and 30-year old age ranges.
-SARS is communicable. It can be airborne or transmit by touch. The SARS virus can live on a surface (such as a counter top) for up to 24 hours.
-There is no vaccine for SARS, nor is there a truly effective treatment other than rest, food, and so forth.
-The SARS incubation period is 10 days. If you catch it, you'll show symptoms by then.
-The symptoms of SARS include high fever and a dry cough.
-In China people suspected of having SARS may be put into quanantine for up to 10 days.
-SARS has killed over 800 people.

During SARS I e-mailed many people in Shanghai, Beijing, and Hong Kong. No one I talked to had personally knew anyone who had SARS. They were, however, dealing with the fear and the measures that had to be taken to prevent SARS from spreading. Most of them warned me not to come. They said it would not be a pleasant time.

But now that SARS and the fear of SARS have diminished, the green light seems to be on again. Everything passes eventually. I knew China was not going to fall into the sea because of this. But it made good sense to wait. I'm glad things are on the mend and that measures have been put into place to control it. I hope this experience leads to better disease control and more openness in China.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?