<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2003-06-10

Good Monday.
I'm in Phoenix. At my cousin's place. It's hot here, just like they said. 108 degrees at 8pm when I arrived.
Just got back from Swing Dance Camp at Catalina Island off the coast of L.A. It was an awesome time. I went to the dances in the evening and hung around the island during the daytime. I was with a group of 11 who rented a house on Sumner Avenue. We took turns cooking, cleaning, and climbing the 20-foot steel pole which ran from the second-story ceiling to the floor.
The dances were pretty good. Catalina Swing Camp just does not have the attendance or energy it had over the last few years. But I did get a chance to chat with The Swing Session backstage. The singer, Pops, even poured me a drink of whiskey, which I politely sipped -- ack.
The best part of the Catalina trip was probably the boat ride. We took two motor boats with 5 people each. While motoring along, we found a frisbee floating out in the middle of the water. So we played boat-to-boat frisbee for about a half hour. That was the best!
The after-hours parties were pretty decent. I didn't have the energy for it, but some members of our group were out every night until 4am. I don't know how...
The four days of camp ended and it all seemed like it had passed in the blink of an eye. At the boat terminal back in L.A. I was saying somewhat tearful goodbyes to my swing friends, whom I may not see again for quite some time. Then, I got into the car and drove about 6 hours to Phoenix. I miss my friends already, but I think I should stick with the plan.
I've scheduled my first Mandarin lesson in Phoenix for tonight, which my tutor in San Francisco will be glad to hear.
So now I'm going to rest up and prepare for my journey. I anticipate spending from one to three months here. It sounds like SARS is getting more under control, and there was never a reported outbreak in Shanghai (stressing *reported*). So I will e-mail the folks I know out there and confirm that this is true to their knowledge.
By the way, there are now three dogs at my cousin Rick's house: Dave (looks like a yellow wolf), Bentley (a black beagle-mix) and Jack (a chihuahua-terrier mix - only 4 pounds and 12 weeks old!)
All for now. Wish me luck.
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?