<$BlogRSDUrl$>

For three years, I have been in China teaching Swing Dancing. Now I'm wandering yet again...

2003-06-18

Didn't do the resumes last night. Still holding off.
The WHO has removed Taiwan from its travel advisory list for SARS. Now only Beijing remains in the list, Hong Kong and Singapore having been removed previously. I think it makes most sense to wait until all cities are removed from the list before traveling there.
Back in the boom of Silicon Valley, if you put your resume on the Internet you would expect to begin negotiating the next day and accept a new job within two weeks at most. That's how it was. You didn't float your resume out there until you were prepared to go that very day.
It's not like that in Silicon Valley these days, of course, but I have a feeling the job market is much hotter right now in Shanghai. I want to wrap up all of my personal business here before I sent out my resumes, and when I do send them out, I want to be ready to go at a moment's notice.
Every now and then I consider buying a house here in Phoenix because of the potential for the market to expand and increase in value. It definitely looks like it will. Houses are quite affordable (relatively). But most of the time I think is not a good idea. I have never tried an investment property before (though it would be my home address). I'm concerned that buying a house and almost immediately heading out to work abroad is a pretty non-sensical idea.
So far in Phoenix: Been dancing twice, been on one (bad) date, had a small argument with Rick, been to the gym, walked to dogs a lot, lost my sunscreen (or it was taken), and slept a good deal. Also I have had time to work on an important personal project of mine, and last but not least study Mandarin.
l8r - J
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?